Books Available for Review for The Journal of Graphic Novels and Comics
Below is a current list of books available for review for The Journal of Graphic Novels and Comics. Reviewers should be professors, independent scholars, or professionals who hold a Ph.D. or terminal degree in comics or a field of interest that coincides with the book’s subject matter. Advanced graduate students are also encouraged to reply.
Email the Book Review Editor at email@example.com in order to review a text listed below. I welcome and encourage ideas on other texts related to comics and graphic novels. See my website (URL below) for a complete list of books.
Reviews typically averages 600-1,000 words, follow Chicago Manual Style for any citations, and should include an objective discussion of the book’s topic. Reviews are peer-reviewed and are usually published first online and may be later published in a physical journal issue.
- All New, All Different? A History of Race and the American Superhero by Allan W. Austin and Patrick L. Hamilton
- Comics and Pop Culture: Adaptation from Panel to Frame edited by Barry Keith Grant and Scott Henderson
- The Film Photonovel: A Cultural History of Forgotten Adaptations by Jan Baetens
- Graphic Memories of the Civil Rights Movement: Reframing History in Comics by Jorge J. Santos, Jr.
- Holocaust Graphic Narratives: Generation, Trauma & Memory by Victoria Aarons
- Katusha: Girl Soldier of the Great Patriotic War by Wayne Vansant
- The Lady Doctor by Ian Williams
- Latinx Superheroes in Mainstream Comics by Frederick Luis Aldama
- Once Upon a Time in France by Fabien Nury and Sylvian Vallee
- Posthumanism and the Graphic Novel in Latin America by Edward King and Joanna Page
- Reel Latinxs: Representation in U.S. Film & TV by Frederick Louis Aldama and Christopher Gonzalez
- Serial Selves: identity and Representation in Autobiographical Comics by Frederick Bryn Kohlert
- Superhero Thought Experiments: Comic Book Philosophy by Chris Gavaler and Nathaniel Goldberg
- Theology and the Marvel Universe edited by Gregory Stevension
- Utopia and Dystopia in the Age of Trump: Images from Literature and Visual Arts edited by Barbra Brodman and James E. Down
Book Review Editor, Journal of Graphic Novels and Comics