Midwest Popular Culture Association/Midwest American Culture Association Annual Conference — Television Area **DEADLINE EXTENDED TO 6/1**
**DEADLINE EXTENDED AGAIN TO 6/1/20**
**VIRTUAL PRESENTATION OPPORTUNITIES PROBABLE**
CALL FOR PAPERS, ABSTRACTS, AND PANEL PROPOSALS
Midwest Popular Culture Association/Midwest American Culture Association Annual Conference — Television Area
Friday-Sunday, 2-4 October 2020
Address: Westin Minneapolis: 88 South 6th Street, Minneapolis MN 55402 Phone: (612) 333-4006
The Television area of the Midwest Popular Culture Association/Midwest American Culture Association is now accepting proposals for its 2020 conference in Minneapolis. We are looking for papers that examine any aspect of television, from any time period, and using any number of methods. Potential topics for paper or panel proposals include, but are not limited to:
- The recent proliferation of unbundled “over the top” services like Peacock, HBO Max, Disney+, and YouTube TV, and the industry panic over cord-cutting, cord-nevers, etc.
- The impact of online distribution and the rise of streaming platforms as producers of original programming
- The impact of varied distribution methods, from all-at-once and weekly release strategies and everything in between
- The intersections between television and social media
- The representations of gender and sexuality, race and ethnicity, and class and economics in television programming
- The sheer number of new scripted series colloquially referred to as “Peak TV”
- The “return” of miniseries and event series programming
- The role of remakes, spin-offs, adaptations, and franchises
- The trends in less “quality” genres and formats: talk shows, soap operas, morning TV
Please submit a paper abstract of 250 words or a panel proposal including short abstracts and titles of each prospective paper to the "Television" area on the MPCA/ACA Submission website (submissions.mpcaaca.org). We strongly encourage pre-constituted panel submissions.
THE NEW DEADLINE FOR SUBMISSIONS IS JUNE 1, 2020. Proposals should be submitted to the MPCA online submission: http://submissions.mpcaaca.org/.
Questions should be directed to the Television area chair, Cory Barker (firstname.lastname@example.org). Acceptance notices will be sent soon after the final deadline.
Conference information, including hotel packages, can be found on the MPCA website.