Writing Across the Curriculum (MMLA) (Deadline Extended)
The Midwest Modern Language Association’s 2020 conference theme is “Cultures of Collectivity.” The conference will take place November 5-8 in Milwaukee, Wisconsin.
The Writing Across the Curriculum permanent session will explore this theme by considering how writing pedagogy can encourage students to make connections between their sense of self and the community at large. Academia is rarely limited to the space of the classroom. Often lines between the individual student, the university space, and the local community blur to facilitate a deeper engagement with learning.
Topics might include, but are not limited to:
- Approaches and assignments that serve as a bridge between the writing classroom and the local community (this could include cultural centers, learning communities, or local public engagement)
- Collaborative pedagogy
- Methods for working with language communities
- Addressing political or social challenges through writing
- Cultures of diaspora, including refugee and migrant communities
- Building community within writing centers or between writing centers and classroom instruction
Please send 250-300 word proposals and a brief bio to Alejandra Ortega (email@example.com) by April 20, 2020.