CFP, spr2021 Scholarship and Practice of Undergraduate Research: Undergraduate Research at Community Colleges
Undergraduate research has proliferated at community colleges over the last decade through course-based research experiences, multi-institutional collaborations, and federal funding. The spring 2021 Scholarship and Practice of Undergraduate Research (SPUR), guest edited by Jim Hewlett (Finger Lakes Community College-SUNY), will examine undergraduate research at community colleges. How is undergraduate research implemented at community and technical colleges? How is undergraduate research used to train the workforce? How have community colleges institutionalized undergraduate research?
Four to five articles of 2,000–3,500 words each are sought that examine some aspect of undergraduate research at community colleges. In addition, vignettes of 300 words are invited that offer succinct, creative approaches to the theme.
Research questions and topics of interest include the following:
- How has faculty development impacted the development and implementation of undergraduate research and translated to a transformative student experience?
- How has undergraduate research been institutionalized at an institution? This should include a discussion on how undergraduate research is supported as an institutional priority.
- What unique collaborations (cross-disciplinary or multi-institutional) have been developed?
- How have undergraduate research programs been designed to address a specific workforce need?
- How are undergraduate research experiences assessed?
- How have non-academic partnerships (with industries or government agencies) been leveraged to develop undergraduate research programs?
Submission Details. Submit a 300- to 500-word prospectus to https://spur.msubmit.net by May 25, 2020, describing the focus of the proposed article or vignette. Please indicate in the prospectus whether the proposed piece is an article or a vignette. Invited authors will be notified by June 1, 2020. Final articles and vignettes will be due by August 1, 2020.
Read SPUR author guidelines and sample articles at