SSEMWG Call for sponsored panels @ RSA 2021
Society for the Study of Early Modern Women & Gender
Call for Panel Proposals
Renaissance Society of America Annual Meeting
Dublin, Ireland, 7-10 April 2021
The Society for the Study of Early Modern Women & Gender (https://ssemwg.org) will sponsor up to three panels at next year’s annual conference of the Renaissance Society of America (RSA), to be held in Dublin, Ireland, on 7-10 April 2021. The SSEMWG supports and promotes inclusive and creative scholarship on women and gender across the early modern world. We are committed to interdisciplinary, intersectional approaches that are historically sensitive and theoretically exploratory.
The Society is soliciting proposals for pre-formed panels (or roundtables) in any discipline that explore women and their contributions to the cultural, political, economic, or social spheres of the early modern period and whose interest in it includes attention to gender and representations of women. Proposals that include young/emerging scholars are especially welcome.
Sponsorship of a panel (or roundtable) by the SSEMWG signifies that it is pre-approved and automatically accepted for presentation at the RSA annual meeting.
Proposals for a pre-formed panel, linked panels, or roundtable should be sent to Courtney Quaintance (email@example.com), SSEMWG associate organization representative for RSA, by no later than Monday 5 August 2020 with the following materials, assembled into a single Word document (no PDFs, please). Careful adherence to these guidelines is greatly appreciated:
- Title of panel (or roundtable) (max 15 words)
- Abstract (max 150 words) describing the panel (or roundtable) + keywords
- General discipline area of panel (or roundtable) (History, Art History, Literature, or other)
- For a panel proposal: names of Organizer(s), Chair, Paper Presenters, & any Respondent(s), including current affiliation + email address for each participant
- For a roundtable proposal: names of Organizer(s), Chair, and Discussants (min 4, max 8), including current affiliation and email address for each participant
- CV for Panel or Roundtable Organizer(s) & Paper Presenters only (5 pages max per person, not in prose), indicating PhD completion date (past or expected)
- For each panel paper: title (max 15 words), abstract (max 150 words) & keywords (up to 4)
- Specification of any audio/visual needs
Please note that, per RSA rules, all panels and roundtables must include at least one scholar who is postdoctoral, and that participants who are currently graduate students should be within one or two years of defending their dissertations. For complete RSA guidelines for panel and roundtable proposals, please consult https://www.rsa.org/page/AnnualMeetingSubmissionsGuide#timeline
Decisions regarding SSEMWG panel sponsorship will be sent out at least four days prior to the regular RSA submission deadline (15 August 2020) for submission of panel or paper proposals.
Applicants for SSEMWG panel sponsorship do not need to be Society members at the time of submission, but, if successful, all members of the panel should join the Society before the 2021 RSA meeting. Regular membership costs USD$25; students, independent scholars and contingent faculty may join for USD$15. Participants are also expected to be/become RSA members and to register for the conference and are responsible for covering their own travel and lodging costs. Limited travel grants are available to members of the Renaissance Society of America (visit www.rsa.org/).
Please do not hesitate to contact me with any questions.