Covid-19 and its implications for Scandinavian cinema
Call for contributions to an Journal of Scandinavian Cinema In Focus section focusing on Covid-19 and its implications for Scandinavian cinema
Covid-19 poses phenomenal challenges to the cultural sector, including film. While film has played an important role in providing relief from the public health crisis, not least by sustaining a sense of community, support for film from government coffers has in some cases failed to materialize in a timely manner. In the Danish case, the assumption, clearly articulated by the Minister of Culture herself, has been that film and film culture are less than essential. Film practitioners in the Nordic region have mobilized effectively in response to deficient thinking about culture, just as they have been proactive about finding ways of rekindling a whole variety of processes that were brought to a standstill by Covid-19. Examples include the Drive-In initiative launched by the Danish Film Institute’s cinematheque in partnership with the celebrity restaurateur Claus Mayer and the Cannes 2020 Webinar entitled ’Pandemic Production: Lessons Learned in the Nordics’.
Short subject contributions (2000-3000 words) focusing on some of the specific ways in which Scandinavian cinema practitioners have responded to the challenges of Covid-19 are hereby invited. The aims of the In Focus section are:
- To capture the diversity of responses to Covid-19 in Scandinavia as filmmakers, producers, exhibitors and others sought solutions to the crisis
- To offer a record of how the crisis management in the film sector unfolded
- To provide insight into the extent to which innovative practices and new protocols are seen as effective
- To understand the longer-term implications of these new practices and protocols
- To consider whether responses developed in the Nordic region have offered inspiration beyond the region, with Covid-related thinking essentially becoming a transnational phenomenon
Please send contributions to Mette Hjort (email@example.com) by 10 January 2021. Make sure that you follow the most recent Notes for contributors, available at Intellect’s journal pages: https://www.intellectbooks.com/journal-of-scandinavian-cinema.