2021 Conference CFP
Religion and Theatre Focus Group Call for Papers
Association for Theatre in Higher Education (ATHE) Conference
August 5-8, 2021
Religious traditions across cultures tell of redeemed, perfected visions of the world, whether those are recalled from the past, rewarded in the future, or realized as a transfigured version of the present. The societal and personal transformations required to usher in the redeemed world implies other religiously inflected "re" words: repentance, rescue, restoration, reflection, renewal, re-telling, return. Hand in hand with ATHE’s conference theme, the Religion and Theatre Focus Group seeks scholarly and artistic responses to works that rehearse the redeemed world, repudiate a "fallen" one, re-enchant a secularized one, re-energize struggles towards perfection, remember and grieve losses, and/or rejoice in possibilities.
Topics could include:
· Protest and resistance as vehicles for renewal
· Works that recount secular or spiritual revolution
· Liberation, reconciliation, and embodiment
· Performances that revisit rituals of atonement
· Anti-racism, eschatology, and restoring the arc of the moral universe
· Retelling and revising ancestral stories
· Co-presence and return from exile
· Performing healing/magical practices for personal and ecological re-enchantment
Submissions in dialogue with a wide variety of religious and spiritual traditions are highly encouraged.
PLEASE NOTE THAT ATHE WILL BE HOSTING A HYBRID CONFERENCE, SO PROPOSALS FOR BOTH ONLINE AND IN-PERSON PAPERS AND PANELS WILL BE ACCEPTED.
Interested participants may apply in two ways:
1. Submit an abstract (250-300 words) for individual papers to Dana Tanner-Kennedy at firstname.lastname@example.org by November 1, 2020.
2. Submit a complete panel proposal to the ATHE website by December 1, 2020.
Full Panel Submission Guidelines
Full panel proposals will be submitted through ATHE’s new conference platform. Check www.athe.org for details.
Questions or concerns? Contact Religion and Theatre Focus Group conference planner Dana Tanner-Kennedy at email@example.com.