2021 SWCA Conference: Trauma & Transformation - Writing Centers in an Era of Change
The SWCA Board is excited to announce that the 2021 Southeastern Writing Center Association conference will be held fully online. Join us Feb. 11-13, 2021, to discuss the transformations writing center professionals and the field undertake during times of crisis and trauma. The COVID-19 pandemic, racial injustice, social unrest, natural disasters, and significant changes in the structure and leadership of higher education have greatly accelerated the pace of these changes and prompted all of us in the writing center field to reconsider many aspects of our approaches to writing center work and everyday operations. Writing center professionals are called not just to react, but to proactively transform their identities, missions, and services. We are called to do this transformational work while coping with old and emergent traumas, mentoring and supporting tutors and clients during multiple crises, and seeking to mitigate new realities of higher education. This conference seeks to emphasize the ways trauma creates opportunities for us to transform as a discipline.
In order to explore the transformational dimensions of writing center work and prepare for an intentional, bright disciplinary future, we invite online presentations (panel and individual), posters, workshops, Ignite presentations, and roundtables that investigate, comment on, or provide guidance in the following areas:
- Transitioning to online modalities
- Responding to social injustice
- Developing/updating training programs and/or management protocols
- Exploring access and lack of access to technology and resources
- Conducting research and scholarship in a time of change (or about change itself)
- Reconfiguring writing centers’ roles in student retention and support
- Leveraging social media and other virtual marketing tools
The above categories of inquiry are meant to help generate potential ideas, not limit them, so please feel free to propose session topics that are relevant to your experiences as we navigate through these life-altering and profession-altering times.
We welcome proposals in the following formats:
- Synchronous Individual Presentation: 15-minute virtual presentation/talk with one or two speakers. Individual presentations will be placed in a panel based on the topic.
- Synchronous Panel Presentation: 60-minute synchronous session with three or more speakers/facilitators.
- Synchronous Workshop: 60-minute synchronous, interactive session that actively engages participants.
- Synchronous Coffee Hour Roundtable: 60-minute synchronous facilitated discussion around a specific topic.
- Pre-Recorded Individual or Panel Video Presentation with live discussion: 15-minute individual or 45-minute panel presentations that are prerecorded and submitted to the conference ahead of time. Individual videos will be placed in a panel based on topic. Participants will be invited to watch the pre-recorded presentations and engage with presenters during a live 30-minute Q&A during the conference.
- Pre-Recorded Poster with live discussion: Virtual posters will be accompanied by a 5-minute pre-recorded presentation. Participants will be invited to watch the pre-recorded presentations and engage with presenters during a live 30-minute Q&A during the conference.
- Pre-Recorded Ignite Presentations with live discussion: Ignite presentations follow a five-minute formula where slides transition automatically every 20 seconds. Ignite presentations will be pre-recorded and available ahead of the conference for attendees. Participants will be invited to watch the pre-recorded presentations and engage with presenters during a live 30-minute Q&A during the conference.
See the full CFP and apply: https://southeasternwritingcenter.wildapricot.org/conference