Media in America, America in Media Conference
We invite the submission of abstracts for Media in America, America in Media international conference to be held online on 25-26 March 2021. This is the third edition of a joint effort of the American Studies and Political Science scholars who aim to generate a cross-disciplinary debate that brings together divergent yet complementary voices reflecting on American media environment and America’s portrayals in media across the globe.
The conference Media in America, America in Media addresses a wide variety of topics across the disciplines of media, political science, language and cultural studies. They may include the following themes, among others:
Media in America:
- Media and their representations in America
• Mass media, social media and personalized media
• Rhetoric of media in America – ideology, persuasion, manipulation past and present
• Media roles in the election process
• Media as a tool in identity formation
- Media theories in America
• Contemporary American theories of communication and media
• Mediatization – American model vs. European model
• Rhetorical perspectives on logos, ethos and pathos in media
• Visual media studies, game studies – intertexts and intermediality
- Media technologies in America
• Technological revolutions – trends and implications
• Media personalities – the role and ethos of a (digital) journalist
• Advertising – role, medium, case studies, micro-rhetorical situations
• Big Data, fake news, bots and apps – new concepts, new challenges
America in Media:
- Images of America in American media
• Representations of the majority and the minorities: ideological, feminist, religious, racial, ethnic, LGBTQ+ and other
• New phenomena, new audiences – America in TV series, podcasts, games, hashtags, infographics, tweets, pins…
• Adaptations in the media: history, literature and art in a new form
- Images of America in foreign media
• American models – political and advertising campaigns, streaming platforms, newsrooms, sitcoms, talk shows, etc.
• American media and international reception – a comparative study
• Whose America? – a homogeneous or heterogeneous media image
Abstracts (150-250 words) in English + a short bio should be sent by January 15th, 2021 to firstname.lastname@example.org. There is no registration fee. The details on the conference website will be announced soon.
For the 2021 edition of Media in America, America in Media conference publication we are pleased to announce the cooperation with two peer-reviewed open access academic journals: Res Rhetorica and New Horizons in English Studies. The post-conference volumes are scheduled for publication in 2022.
Due to the interdisciplinary character of the conference, the invitation is addressed to representatives of all scientific disciplines dealing with the topic of media.
We look forward to seeing you at our online event,
The Organizing Committee
Anna Bendrat, Ph.D.
Elżbieta Pawlak-Hejno, Ph.D.
Anna Oleszczuk, M.A.
Agata Waszkiewicz, M.A.
Lidia Kniaź-Hunek, M.A.