National Popular Culture Association Conference - Gender Studies Area
Call for Proposals for Papers and Panels:
Gender Studies Area
Popular Culture Association (PCA) National Conference
June 2-5, 2021
Boston, MA (option for virtual participation)
The Gender Studies area of the Popular Culture Association is considering proposals for papers and/or panels that explore the intersection of gender and popular culture. Topics could include, but are not limited to, the representation of gender identity and gender expression within popular culture, the use of gendered appeals in advertising, the potential of popular culture to educate audiences about diversity, equity, and inclusion, the role of gender in the 2020 election cycle, and the use of gender studies terminology within popular media.
Sessions are scheduled in 90-minute slots, typically with four papers or speakers. Presentations should not exceed 15 minutes.
Individuals must be current, paid members to submit to the conference.
Proposals for paper presentations require a 150-200 word abstract.
For panels (4-5 presenters), individual presenters should submit an abstract of 150-200 words for their own paper, and the panel chair should contact Dr. O’Reilly to assemble the papers into a panel and provide a brief description of the panel’s focus.
To submit a proposal for a paper presentation or a panel, go to http://conference.pcaaca.org and follow the instructions for creating an account (or logging in to an existing account) and completing your submission. Submissions will only be accepted through the PCA website.
The deadline for submissions is January 6, 2021.
For inquiries, contact:
Julie D. O’Reilly
310 E. Market St.
Tiffin, OH 44883
Key dates and other information
- · 12 August 2020 – Submission Page Goes Live
- · 22 October 2020 – Early Bird Registration Opens
- · 17 December 2020 – Deadline for Endowment Grant Applications
- · 6 January 2021 – Deadline for Paper and Panel Proposals
- · 1 February 2021 – Early Bird Registration Ends
- · 2 February 2021 – Regular Registration Begins
- · 1 March 2021 – Regular Registration Ends
- · 2 March 2021 – Late Registration Begins
- · 15 March 2021 – Preliminary Schedule Available
- · 31 March 2021 – Presenter Late Registration End at 11:59: Non-registrants Dropped from Program
- · 1 April 2021 – Non-presenter Registration Continues Through the Conference
- · 2 – 5 June 2021 - National Conference in Boston (option for virtual participation)
All presenters must be current, paid members of the PCA and fully registered for the conference.