2021 Midwest PCA/ACA Annual Conference — Television Area *Deadline Extended*
CALL FOR PAPERS, ABSTRACTS, AND PANEL PROPOSALS
Midwest Popular Culture Association/Midwest American Culture Association Annual Conference — Television Area
Friday-Sunday, 7-10 October 2021
Address: Westin Minneapolis: 88 South 6th Street, Minneapolis MN 55402 Phone: (612) 333-4006
The Television area of the Midwest Popular Culture Association/Midwest American Culture Association is now accepting proposals for its 2021 conference in Minneapolis. We are looking for papers that examine any aspect of television, from any time period, and using any number of methods. Potential topics for paper or panel proposals include, but are not limited to:
- The recent proliferation of media conglomerate streaming portals like Peacock, HBO Max, Disney+, as well as the “over-the-top” streaming cable competitors like YouTube TV, and the industry panic over cord-cutting and cord-nevers
- The impact of online distribution and the rise of streaming platforms as producers of original programming
- The representations of gender and sexuality, race and ethnicity, and class and economics in television programming
- The erosion and consolidation of networks and channels as organizing structures in television
- The impact of varied distribution methods, including all-at-once drops, weekly release strategies, and everything in between
- The impact of COVID-19 on the industry, including production stoppages, cancellations, and potential changes in viewership
- The intersections between television and social media
- The role of remakes, spin-offs, adaptations, and franchises
- The trends in less “quality” genres and formats: talk shows, soap operas, morning TV
Please submit a paper abstract of 250 words or a panel proposal including short abstracts and titles of each prospective paper to the Television area on the MPCA/ACA Submission website (submissions.mpcaaca.org). We strongly encourage pre-constituted panel submissions. Please include your name, affiliation, and e-mail address of each author/participant.
Individuals may only submit one paper, and please do not submit the same paper to more than one area:submissions.mpcaaca.org.
**New deadline for receipt of proposals is June 1, 2021**
A preliminary version of the schedule will be posted on our website around August 2021. The final version will be distributed in hard copy at the conference. Any questions can be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Special Notes Regarding Proposal Submissions: (1) AV equipment will be provided. The Association does not provide laptops, cords, or speakers. (2) If necessary, indicate and submit potential scheduling conflicts along with your proposal. (3) If you wish your presentation to be listed as MACA (rather than MPCA), please include this request with your proposal.
Please plan to attend the entire conference. Panels will run at the following approximate times: Friday 9:00 am-6:00 pm, Saturday 9:00 am -5:30 pm, and Sunday 9:00 am-2:00 pm. Special events may include game night on Thursday evening, featured speakers and awards ceremony on Friday evening, and a keynote speaker on Saturday evening. These events will be free for conference registrants. Area Chairs are strongly encouraged to attend the Annual Meeting.
MEMBERSHIP DUES & REGISTRATION FEES: Membership renewal forms for the 2021 calendar year and 2021 conference registration forms will be available on the website in the coming weeks. All participants must register for the conference. Registration is $100 for undergraduate students with ID, $150 for reduced rate members (graduate students with ID, retirees, and unemployed), and $180 for regular members. There will be a $15 late fee for registration on-site or postmarked after September 15, 2021. (This fee is waived for residents of countries other than the USA or Canada.) Payment on-site will be by cash, check, or via credit card on Square. To preregister, send a check anytime to Malynnda Johnson, 200 North Seventh Street Terre Haute, Indiana, USA 47809. Make check payable to Midwest Popular Culture Association. A registration-membership form may be printed from our website at <http://www.mpcaaca.org>.
Day passes will be available for guests of the conference who are not presenting a paper.
A special group rate for a limited block of rooms reserved on a first-come, first-served basis will be secured with the Westin Minneapolis. Check for details at the MPCA website.
Attendees are financially responsible for all costs related to their participation in the conference, e.g., transportation, lodging, meals, registration, membership, etc. Graduate students are invited to apply.