St. Clair Drake Grad Student Research Symposium
The Department of African American and African Diaspora Studies at the University of California, Berkeley
invites artists, graduate students, and community members to submit papers for the 28th annual St. Clair
Drake Research Symposium, to be held Saturday, May 1, 2021. T
The symposium will take place from 9AM to 5PM with breaks in between each session.
The St. Clair Drake Research Symposium, pioneered by the late Professor VèVè A. Clark, is an opportunity to
engage the African diaspora and the questions that emerge in its wake across varying methods and media.
It is also an opportunity for graduate students engaged in historic, sociocultural, psychic, and political
studies of Africa and its diasporas in the Americas and elsewhere from across California and beyond to
nurture community. In addition to more traditional academic papers, we strongly encourage and welcome
experimental and emerging research.
In advance of the Symposium, panel groups will meet at least once to discuss and workshop their papers
together. During the Symposium, panelists will present their papers and projects, reflect on their process,
and propose questions to one another.
Graduate students are invited to submit a brief abstract for individual papers and projects that are in
conversation with the work(s) of one of the following scholars:
● Thinking with Stuart Hall
● Thinking with Katherine McKittrick
● Thinking with Saidiya Hartman
We also encourage graduate students to submit group panel proposals that engage other themes within
Individual paper and group panel proposals should include:
1. If applicable: panel title and abstract describing theme (maximum of 250 words);
2. Paper title and abstract for each paper (maximum of 250 words);
3. Name(s), institutional and departmental affiliation(s) if applicable;
4. Requests for screen sharing or audio/visual aids if needed;
5. Description of accessibility concerns for each participant;
4. A very brief biographical statement for each participant
Please submit your proposal via email, as well as any questions and concerns, to email@example.com by April 2, 2021.