The Banshee: The Journal for Women Who Scream
The Banshee is the leading magazine for women who scream.*
It is a journal for women who scream, by women who scream, about women who scream, and about screaming in all its forms. Screams of laughter; screams of rage, fear, and delight. A journal for supernatural yelllers, emphatic prophets of doom, and all those who adhere to the Japanese theme-park credo in this time of respiratory pandemic: please scream inside your hearts.
If you scream inside your heart, or anywhere else, please write for The Banshee.
The Banshee accepts creative, journalistic, and academic submissions of up to 5,000 words in length, with no minimum length. We** particularly welcome pieces of 900 words or less. Topics might include, but are not limited to:
- What makes you scream?
- Screamers in history (famous and neglected, real and fictional)
- Fiction (prose, poetry, drama) designed to make the reader scream.
- Horror, terror, hilarity
- Mythological and folklore screamers
- Advice to the screamer; banshee self-care
- Screaming and gender, sex, sexuality, race, ability, class, and age.
- Screaming crowds; lone screamers; the cinematic and theatrical scream; the sculpted scream; the scream in visual arts; musical screaming.
- Screaming sound effects.
- Screaming, howling, baying, shrieking, ululation, silent screaming, and related phenomena
- How the pandemic, any institution, or individual is making you scream in the year 2021
- Parodic takes on any of the above.
Interpret all of the above as generously as you like. Feel free to pitch before you send.
Submit to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Carry on screaming,
–– The Banshee.
*This is its first issue.