Call for Chapters: “Documentary Film in Latin America and the Caribbean: Theory and Practice”
Call for Chapters:
“Documentary Film in Latin America and the Caribbean: Theory and Practice”
Edited by Christopher L. Ballengee
This interdisciplinary edited volume seeks to illuminate theoretical and practical perspectives on the production, reception, and analysis of ethnographic and documentary film in Latin America and the Caribbean. We invite scholars, critics, filmmakers, and other interested authors to submit proposals as outlined below.
While there is a substantial and growing literature on narrative films of the global south, relatively little scholarly attention has been paid to the theoretical and practical issues of making, producing, distributing, and watching documentary and ethnographic films within the region. Such work is long overdue given the increasing number of high-quality documentary and ethnographic films that continue to emerge from and about Latin America, the Caribbean, and its myriad diasporas. Therefore, this edited volume represents an important step toward thinking about issues relevant to the production and analysis of documentary and ethnographic film across the global south.
Topics for essays could include but are not limited to considerations of
- a film or group of films
- the work of a filmmaker or group of filmmakers
- film and audio/visual culture (in one place or comparatively across the region)
- the soundscape of ethnographic and/or documentary film
- the practice of filmmaking
- the social and/or cultural impact of documentary and ethnographic film
- technologies of filmmaking and distribution
- film festivals
- imperialist, postcolonial, and/or decolonial perspectives on films and filmmaking
Deadline for proposal submission is June 1, 2021. Interested authors are invited to submit proposals by email to email@example.com. Please include an abstract of approximately 200-400 words, a one-paragraph bio, and a current CV. Full essays will likely be due in late 2021. All essays should be in English.