Penumbra Online Call for Reviews
PenumbraOnline Call for Reviews (Books, Films, Television, and Media)
Since 1989, Penumbra has published the artistic and literary talents of students and creatives regionally, nationally, and internationally. As a publication, Penumbra is unique; its student-led staff personally solicits, selects, and edits its content and design. PenumbraOnline.org, our online publication, is just as committed to receiving submissions from a diverse range of writers.
The staff at PenumbraOnline.org are seeking reviews of contemporary books, films, albums, podcasts, and television shows of 600-900 words for our Summer 2021 Online Issue. PenumbraOnline’s 2021 Summer and Fall series will be centered on the theme of Love with a focus on self-love. We encourage reviewers to focus their reviews on material that focus on some form of self love or love in general. Reviewed material must have a 2020 or 2021 publication or release date, and interested writers must submit their review proposals by 13 July 2021, and if accepted, final products must be submitted by 27 July 2021. Accepted reviews will be professionally copy-edited and must be submitted in MLA format. In the spirit of becoming increasingly accessible to scholars near and far, we at Penumbra look forward to featuring reviews from local and international authors. We warmly invite scholars of all professional levels to submit proposals for reviews and especially welcome graduate student submissions. To be considered for publication, potential authors must first email Hannah Neeley and Autumn Andersen, Review Editors of Penumbra, at firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com to submit a CV and a brief proposal of the text they would like to review and how it fits our series theme. We recommend using the subject line “Penumbra Review'' for correspondences concerning proposals or accepted submissions.
Stanislaus State proudly digitizes current and past issues of Penumbra at https://www.csustan.edu/penumbra for public viewing. Potential reviewers are encouraged to browse the journal’s past and present offerings and note the journal’s diverse range of subject matter and contributors. If you have a piece other than reviews you would like to submit for this summer’s edition, check the PenumbraOnline.org website for more information.
- Word count should be between 600 to 900 words and must be of words pubished in 2020 or 2021.
- Review proposals are required, please send proposals or questions to firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com
- Documents need to be submitted as Word Docs: NO PDF files will be accepted
- We require specific content warnings in submissions with triggering or difficult subjects
- No reviews of content that includes images depicting bodily harm, including harm of animals; it can result in a ban from both Penumbra and Penumbraonline.org
- No reviews of content that includes racist, homophobic, transphobic, misogynist, islamophobic, ableist content or language (etc.) Nothing that furthers hate or oppressive rhetoric and practices; submitting work containing these topics can result in a ban from both Penumbra and Penumbraonline.org.