MCLLM 30th Conference "Tough But Necessary Conversations" Seeking Conference Paper and Panel Proposals
The 30th Annual Midwestern Conference on Literature, Language, and Media (MCLLM) at Northern Illinois University in DeKalb, Illinois, is currently accepting proposals for 15-20 minute presentations from individuals and panels. This year's conference theme is "Tough But Necessary Conversations: Social Justice in Literature, Language, and Media." This theme encourages argument-driven papers that explore topics concerned with social justice and its surrounding topics of diversity, representation, equality, equity, fairness, etc. in relation to literature, language, and media in a wide variety of mediums. Papers should address socio-cultural or political issues as they relate to matters of social justice and how language, literature, and media work for, with, or in some cases against the ideals of social justice.
We encourage a variety of approaches to the above including (But by no means limited to) the following topics:
- Marginalized Voices and Challenges to the Cannon
- Interdisciplinary Humanities
- Political and Historical Change
- Political, Public, and Private Identity
- Popular Culture and Academia
- Literary and Narrative Foundations
- Rhetoric in relation to Social Justice
- Social Justice Pedagogy
- Systems of Oppression in Language, Literature, and Media
- Art as Activism
This conference will be presented in a hybrid format with both in-person and virtual sessions. In your proposal please indicate if you would prefer to present online or in person. All sessions will be recorded and made available for all attending guests.
If you are interested in presenting at the conference, please submit a 200-500 word proposal by December 18th, 2021 to email@example.com Include a cover page with your:
- Institutional Affiliation (Past Affiliation for Independent Scholars)
- Status (Graduate, Undergraduate, Faculty, or Independent Scholar)
- Phone Number
Panel Proposals Should Include:
- Brief Overview of the Panel's Theme and Purpose
- An Abstract and Cover Page for Each Individual Paper
This year, the MCLLM planning committee has arranged for Dr. Regina Schwartz, a professor of English at Northwestern University, to be our distinguished guest.