The 9th Asian-Pacific Forum on Translation and Intercultural Studies

deadline for submissions: 
January 31, 2022
full name / name of organization: 
Wake Forest University
contact email: 

FORUM GOALS
The fourth industrial revolution is quickly changing communication patterns, global trade policies, political alliances and people’s lifestyles. Consequently, it is becoming more important than ever to promote broader mutual understanding among people from different cultures through translation, interpreting and other channels of intercultural communication.

Interculturality takes on a different meaning as societal identities and community memories around the world are being impacted in a new way. Additionally, an increasing application of new technologies has put the language industry as a whole in flux, which will inevitably bring changes to translation and interpreting (T&I). At this juncture, an exchange of ideas by practitioners and theorists from the T&I and intercultural communications fields would help us to better understand and face the challenges brought about by this constantly evolving environment.

What are some of the major changes facing scholars, educators and practitioners from the fields of T&I and intercultural studies? What else will be transforming the field in the near future? What are the opportunities in store? What challenges? How can T&I practitioners, educators, scholars and industry players creatively and resourcefully respond to these changes? How can T&I practitioners and educators better adapt to an uncertain future?

The Forum intends to provide educators and practitioners from the fields of T&I and intercultural studies with the opportunity to:

• interact, network and benefit from each other’s research and expertise at this important moment;
  • synthesize research perspectives and foster interdisciplinary dialogues for developing integrated approaches to complex problems of T&I and intercultural studies in new globalization contexts;
  • explore new ways of thinking about the relationship between T&I and intercultural teaching, research and the language industry;
  • brainstorm about methodologies to foster global intercultural sensitivity and promote cooperation between T&I academia and the language industry;
  • advance modes of inquiry for T&I research and disseminate practical findings to facilitate understanding among different cultures, societies and geo-national/continental regions.

SCOPE
The 9th APFTIS is soliciting submissions that reflect diverse theoretical perspectives and empirical research. Topics are broadly defined and include, but are not limited to, the following areas:

• T&I services in medical, legal, business, diplomatic, media and non-traditional contexts, i.e. humanitarian crisis, public safety and law enforcement
  • Collaboration between T&I academia and practitioners and industry partners from other domains 
  • Community as base for interpreting and translation; i.e. re-enforced and/or re-defined role of T&I in diversified communities
  • Agency of translators and interpreters in global societies; i.e. leadership, construction of a nation’s or world region’s identity and image, impact on cultural memory
  • Big translation and cultural memory: the construction of a nation’s identity /image
  • New approaches in T&I studies, i.e. trans-creation, adaptation with compensation, self-censorship
  • Cultural factors and T&I strategies
  • Remote interpreting and re-speaking 
  • Technology application in T&I, in particular T&I-related AI applications, T&I on demand, post-editing, terminology management, etc.
  • Multimodality in T&I, i.e. audiovisual, videogames, movies
  • T&I education and curriculum development
  • T&I ethics, standards and quality assessment
  • Cultural and intercultural studies
  • Other related fields

PAPER SUBMISSIONS
Authors are invited to submit abstracts for individual presentations of 20 min. (15 min. + Q&A) and short bios through Linguist List platform (http://linguistlist.org/easyabs/APFTIS21). Abstracts will be selected for presentation at the conference by the Academic Committee and the selected presenters will be notified.Please note that you will be issued an official invitation letter after you have registered. See registration information here.

GUIDELINES FOR PAPER SUBMISSIONS
Abstract, 300-350 words in English, including positions, affiliations, email addresses and mailing addresses for all authors. Times New Roman 12pt font size, single-spaced.

ITS RISING SCHOLAR AWARD
The Academic Committee invites academic faculty in first five years of their careers to submit their papers to be considered for this award. The Committee will choose two papers of excellence in T&I, intercultural studies, and/or relevant studies and grant each of them with an award of $300 together with a certificate with signatures of the Co-chairs of the Academic Committee. The applicants must send their papers to apftis2022@wfu.edu by May 15, 2022.

BEST STUDENT PAPER AWARD
The Forum offers an opportunity to foster collaborative research between faculty and undergraduate students. In that spirit, the Organizing Committee invites undergraduate and graduate/doctoral students majoring in T&I, intercultural studies, and/or relevant studies to submit their papers for a special session dedicated to undergraduate and graduate research. The paper needs to be approved and recommended by a faculty member from the student’s current university. The Interpreting and Translation Studies Graduate Program at WFU will provide an award of “Best Student Paper” for two papers of excellence submitted by students, accompanied by $300, together with a certificate issued by the Interpreting and Translation Studies Graduate Program and the Graduate School of WFU. The applicants must send their papers to apftis2022@wfu.edu by May 15, 2022.

FURTHER INFORMATION
Visit Forum website at https://interpretingandtranslation.wfu.edu/APFTIS-2021/. to find out more about APFTIS 2022!

For all queries regarding the APFTIS 2022, please write to apftis2022@wfu.edu.