The Fury of Achilles: The Faces of War
The Fury of Achilles: The Faces of War
29 and 30 September 2022
University of Aveiro
The International Conference “The Fury of Achilles: The Faces of War” will be held in the Department of Languages and Cultures of the University of Aveiro, Portugal, on 29 and 30 September 2022. It will be a presential event.
This scholarly gathering is part of a series of conferences held in the previous years, promoted by the CLLC-UA Project “Mitografias: Temas e Variações”:
- 2015: Caim e Abel: família e conflito;
- 2016: Exodus: migrações e fronteiras;
- 2017: Em busca da Terra prometida: mitos de salvação;
- 2018: Arca de Noé: catástrofe e redenção;
- 2019: Olhares de Narciso: egotismo e alienação;
- 2020: Torre de Babel: alteridade e estereótipos (cancelled due to the pandemics; the papers were, however, published in a thematic volume).
This event aims at keeping up with, reinforcing and enhancing research in multidisciplinary areas (literature, culture, linguistics and translation), and at interacting with other scientific, literary, artistic and cultural domains.
We welcome proposals in the following thematic areas:
- The myth of Achilles and its reception;
- Rage and vengeance;
- Love and hatred;
- The image of the warrior;
- Victims of war (women, children, refugees, exiled, etc.);
- Trauma and overcoming it;
- Memories of war;
- Representations of war in cinema and other arts;
- The theme of war in media discourse.
1. Important dates
- submission of abstracts: until 31 May 2022;
- notification to authors: until 30 June 2022;
- registration with a contribution: until 15 July 2022;
- registration without a contribution (limited): until 10 September 2022;
- conference: 29 and 30 September 2022;
- submission of the final text for publication: until 30 November 2022.
2. Submission of abstracts
We accept proposals in an oral contribution format (maximum 20 minutes). Proposals must be sent to the firstname.lastname@example.org address, with the following information:
- name(s) of the author(s);
- title of the paper;
- complete address;
- 6 keywords;
- abstract of up to 300 words.
Contributions arising from academic theses in progress should include (upon authorization and collaboration) the supervisor(s) as coauthor(s). All abstracts will be subject to review by the Scientific Committee. Authors will be notified by e-mail.
To validate your status as a speaker, you must register through email@example.com and attach, if applicable, proof of the bank transfer:
- Registration without a contribution – (limited): 25 € (until 10 September 2022).
- Registrations with an oral or poster contribution: 100 € (until 15 July 2022).
Information for payment of registration:
IBAN: PT 50 0035 0836 0000 1785 2307 0
SWIFT Code / BIC: CGDIPTPL
Código SWIFT / BIC: CGDIPTPL
Bank: Caixa Geral de Depósitos
Balcão da Universidade, 3810-193 AVEIRO
Bank taxes are to be paid by the participant.
- Teachers and students of the University of Aveiro and CLLC members are exempt from registration payment. In such cases, in order to receive a participation certificate, a payment of 5 € must be made.
- Each contribution can only be presented by its author(s).
- Registration is required for participation in the conference, even for those who are exempted from paying.
4. Submission of final texts
The final texts of contributions for publication will also be subject to a peer review process and must be sent, in a Word file, to firstname.lastname@example.org until the 30 November 2022, in accordance with the following stipulations:
- Formatting: 12 point Times New Roman, 1.5 line spacing;
- References, according to APA (see tutorial at <http://www.ua.pt/sbidm/biblioteca/ReadObject.aspx?obj=16988>);
- Header: title, name(s), institution(s), email;
- Abstract up to 300 words (Portuguese and English);
- 6 keywords (Portuguese and English);
- Page limit: 20.