"Post-Then" in Victorian Culture
CALL FOR PAPERS
2022 MMLA Conference’s MVSA-Affiliated Panel
November 16-21, 2022
“Post-Then” in Victorian Culture
In keeping with the MMLA conference theme, “Post-Now,” the Midwest Victorian Studies Association panel welcomes proposals that explore myriad examples of “Post-Then” moments in 19th century Britain that mirror our 21st-century “Post-Now” movements.
Victorian England was filled with the following “Post-Then” indicators:
- Socially relevant dialogues
- Reflexive practices promoting communities
- Embracing, negotiating, and navigating differences
- Recognizing and stressing diversities across wide spectrums
- Interrogating political and personal biases and privileges
- Ruptures, reconciliations, and reactions to previous historical and cultural shifts, thinkers, writers, and texts
Possible venues through which to explore the above aspects of “Post-Then” Victorian culture include but are not limited to:
We welcome papers about diverse genres and media and particularly encourage proposals with significant interdisciplinary/cross-disciplinary engagement, highlighting varied aspects of nineteenth-century British history, literature, and culture.
The deadline for proposals is April 15, 2022.
Please submit a 250-word abstract and a 1-page vita (as Microsoft Word documents) for consideration to Gretchen M. Frank at firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more information about the MMLA Conference, visit https://www.luc.edu/mmla/convention/.