[Creative Writing] Southwest Popular / American Culture Association (SWPACA)
Call for Papers
Southwest Popular / American Culture Association (SWPACA)
44th Annual Conference, February 22-25, 2023
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Submissions open on August 15, 2022
Proposal submission deadline: October 31, 2022
Proposals for papers and panels are now being accepted for the 44th annual SWPACA conference. One of the nation’s largest interdisciplinary academic conferences, SWPACA offers nearly 70 subject areas, each typically featuring multiple panels. For a full list of subject areas, area descriptions, and Area Chairs, please visit http://southwestpca.org/conference/call-for-papers/
The Creative Writing sessions at SWPACA seek original writing on any theme and in any genre (poetry, fiction, creative nonfiction, drama). Presentations and panels on creative writing pedagogy will also be considered.
All proposals must be submitted through the conference’s database at http://register.southwestpca.org/southwestpca
For details on using the submission database and on the application process in general, please see the Proposal Submission FAQs and Tips page at http://southwestpca.org/conference/faqs-and-tips/
Individual proposals for 15-minute papers must include an abstract of approximately 200-500 words. Including a brief bio in the body of the proposal form is encouraged, but not required.
For information on how to submit a proposal for a roundtable or a multi-paper panel, please view the above FAQs and Tips page.
The deadline for submissions is October 31, 2022.
SWPACA offers monetary awards for the best graduate student papers in a variety of categories. Submissions of accepted, full papers are due January 1, 2023. SWPACA also offers travel fellowships for undergraduate and graduate students. For more information, visit http://southwestpca.org/conference/graduate-student-awards/
Registration and travel information for the conference will be available at http://southwestpca.org/conference/conference-registration-information/
For 2023, we are excited to be at a new venue, the Marriott Albuquerque (2101 Louisiana Blvd NE, Albuquerque, NM 87110), which boasts free parking and close proximity to dining, shopping, and other delights.
In addition, please check out the organization’s peer-reviewed, scholarly journal, Dialogue: The Interdisciplinary Journal of Popular Culture and Pedagogy, at http://journaldialogue.org/
If you have any questions about the Creative Writing area, please contact its Area Chair, [Christopher Carmona, PhD, Our Lady of the Lake University, email@example.com]. If you have general questions about the conference, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org, and a member of the executive team will get back to you.
We look forward to receiving your submissions!
How to Submit a Proposal
NOTE: While these directions are on the website, feel free to share them with potential presenters who reach out to you about submitting.
1. Go to http://conference.southwestpca.org
2. Log In or Create Account (upper right corner). Your username is your email address. If you see your email address in the upper right corner, you are already logged in.
3. You will be taken to your Dashboard page – this is where all the magic happens. To get back to this
page at any time, click on “Dashboard” on the left side of the page.
5. To submit a proposal, click on “Proposal Management” on the left side of the screen. A list will drop
down; you’ll click on “Submit.”
6. Click on “Create New.”
7. Choose the area you wish to submit on the dropdown menu next to “Topic.”
8. If presenting an individual paper, choose “Paper” on the dropdown menu next to “Type.” If proposing a roundtable, choose “Roundtable.”
a. Only Area Chairs or the Exec Team should be creating Screenings or Special Events. Special Events, however, should be cleared with Kathleen to make sure they are feasible with the conference schedule.
9. Insert title.
- Insert abstract.
a. If you are proposing a pre-formed panel, make sure that the abstract mentions that it is a pre- formed panel and who the other presenters are. Folks on pre-formed panels need to submit separate submissions.
- Make sure the presenter listed is correct. It will autofill the submitter’s name/information. If you need to add more presenters, type one of the following in the box: first name, last name, or email. Choose the correct name from the dropdown menu.
- When finished, click “Save and Submit Proposal.”