1st International Conference on the Literary Knots between the Hispanic and the Anglophone Worlds “De guiris y castizos”
The pathways of both the Hispanic and the anglophone world, despite the apparent distance between them, and the different historical events that have confronted them, have usually been parallel, showing multiple links. These have affected all aspects of society (politics, economy, war, tourism, education…) and have been reflected by arts and letters. From the English intellectuals working at the Toledo School of Translators to Javier Marías’s novels, via the English (and then American) travelers in Spain, Telesforo de Trueba y Cossío’s hybrid texts, and the successive Spanish exile waves, both worlds have coalesced. And that has been done so with multiple and enjoyable fruits, attracting the attention of Academia in the recent decades. In consequence, we invite all those researchers working on the interrelations between the literature produced in Spanish speaking (Spain and Latin America) and English-speaking countries.
All those interested should send their proposals prior to February 28th, 2023, firstname.lastname@example.org. Proposals must include a brief abstract (200-250 words) and a short CV (100-150 words). Communications will be 20 minutes in length. We also offer the possibility of proposing panels or roundtables. Being that the case, the proposal must include three abstracts plus a chair (who can also be one of the presenters). The chair, correspondent author, must send all the proposals together, along with the brief CVs of all the members of the panel.
After the conference, a selection of communications will be proposed for an academic publication.
Confirmed plenary speakers:
- Luis Alberto de Cuenca (CSIC/Escritor/Traductor)
- Alfredo Moro Martín (Universidad de Cantabria)
Proposals can follow (although not limited to) these thematic lines:
- Representation of Anglophone realities in Hispanic literatures.
- Representation of Hispanic realities in Anglophone literatures.
- Off-place authors.
- Teaching the literatures of these cultural spheres in the opposite context (Hispanic literature in Anglophone countries and vice versa).
- Cultural institutions for the promotion of literature.
- Mythmaking and myth-praising: myths affecting both cultural contexts.
- Linguistic knots: Spanglish literature.
- Recording the “Other”: Travel books.
- Food Studies: food and literature.
- Foreign stages: representing national drama traditions.
- Deadline for proposals: February 28th, 2023.
- Confirmation of acceptance: March 30th, 2023.
- Inscription: April 1st-June 15th, 2023.
- Conference: 27th-29th September, 2023.
- General fee: 70€.
- Reduced fee (post-doctoral students and/or in situation of unemployment -in both cases, evidence of condition will be requested-): 35€
- José Manuel Correoso Rodenas (Universidad Complutense de Madrid)
- Julio Salvador Salvador (Universidad Complutense de Madrid/CSIC)
- Rafael Massanet Rodríguez (Universitat de le Illes Balears/ Instituto de Estudios Hispánicos en la Modernidad)
- Alain Íñiguez Egido (Universidad Complutense de Madrid)
- Miriam García Villalba (Universidad Complutense de Madrid)
- Fernando Galván Reula (Universidad de Alcalá)
- Dámaso López García (Universidad Complutense de Madrid)
- Margarita Rigal Aragón (Universidad de Castilla-La Mancha)
- Luis Alburquerque García (CSIC)
- José Manuel Losada Goya (Universidad Complutense de Madrid)
- Miriam López Santos (Universidad de León)
- Lisabeth C. Buchelt (University of Nebraska at Omaha)
- David Coughlan (University of Limerick)
- Raúl Marrero-Fente (University of Minnesota/Academia Estadounidense de la Lengua Española)
- Santiago Rodríguez Guerrero-Strachan (Universidad de Valladolid)
- Emron Lee Esplin (Brigham Young University)
- Agustín Coletes Blanco (Universidad de Oviedo)
- Jaime Olmedo Ramos (Universidad Complutense de Madrid)
- Jaume Garau Amengual (Universitat de les Illes Balears/Instituto de Estudios Hispánicos en la Modernidad)
- José Antonio Gurpegui Palacios (Universidad de Alcalá/Instituto de Estudios Norteamericanos “Benjamin Franklin”)
Organization and Collaboration:
- Departamento de Estudios Ingleses: Lingüística y Literatura (Universidad Complutense de Madrid)
- Departamento de Literaturas Hispánicas y Bibliografía (Universidad Complutense de Madrid)
- Instituto de Historia (CSIC)
- Instituto de Estudios Hispánicos en la Modernidad (Universitat de les Illes Balears)