Like A Version: Adaptations, Reboots and Remakes in Popular Culture

deadline for submissions: 
August 31, 2023
full name / name of organization: 
Popular Culture Research Network, Australia
contact email: 

Call for Papers

PopCRN (the Popular Culture Network) is back with a virtual symposium exploring adaptations, reboots and remakes in popular culture. To be held online on Thursday 1st December & Friday 2nd December 2023.

Adaptations, reboots and remakes do not just extend the popular appeal of a work or artist, they can cause controversy as they reinterpret the text. This is further complicated by the feeling of ownership that artists and fans have over the original, and arguments over the definitive version or interpretation prevail. This symposium aims to examine how popular texts have been adapted, rebooted and remade in popular culture.

We welcome papers from researchers across the academic spectrum and encourage papers from postgraduate researchers and early career researchers.

Topics can include, but are not restricted to:

• Play it Again, Sam – misremembering original texts
  • This never happened to the other fellow – different interpretations of character
  • The part of [character] will now be played by [new actor] – who is more important, the actor or the character?
  • I’m the Doctor. Or will be if this regeneration works out – popular culture tropes in recasting
  • As If! – can adaptations ever be true to the original work
  • You can’t stop change any more than you can stop the suns from setting – is change inevitable in popular culture
  • That it’s all just a little bit of history repeating – recycling and reimagination in popular culture
  • Surely the Second Coming is at hand – religious aspects of reinvention
  • I’ll be back – the promise of more.
  • Mamma mia! Here we go again – how can we forget when popular culture is recycled
  • Oh God, please don't say Reboot. That's never a good idea – rebooting popular culture favourites
  • I’m baa-aack! – should some texts never be revived?
  • Backstreet’s Back! – Is the original the only one with artistic value?
  • Get back to where you once belong – the historical-social constraints of popular culture texts
  • They take an old movie and change just enough to make you pay for the same shit all over again – economic motivators for recycling popular culture
  • It was always a story that should’ve been told from a queer perspective or a woman’s perspective…or any perspective other than a cis white man’s – how changes of perspective evolve the text.
  • I’ve seen your face before my friend, but I don’t know if you know who I am – the unrecognisable adaptation
  • I’ve got a bad feeling about this – fan receptions of remakes and reboots
  • I’m too old for this shit – modern adaptations of classic texts
  • It’s no use going back to yesterday, because I was a different person then – classic characters reflecting contemporary norms
  • This above all; to thine own self be true ­­– faithful adaptations
  • “Of all the space bars in all the worlds, you had to re-materialise in mine” ­– How modern adaptations can evoke nostalgia for original texts
  • That’s how this story could have ended, but how about this? – multiple interpretations of the central text
  • If I could turn back time – auteurs and artists revisiting and reworking existing cultural artefacts
  • Janet, I can't reboot you. That will intensify your feelings for Jason, and that's what got us into this mess in the first place – when texts should not be remade

Please email abstracts (200 words) to popcrn@une.edu.au by 31st August 2023. Please include your name, affiliation, email address, title of paper and a short biography (100 words). Registration is free.