LGBTQ Studies at MAPACA
The LGBTQ Studies Area of MAPACA welcomes proposals of relevance to the lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer communities.
Research in this area uses interdisciplinary ways of thinking to understand the development and construction of sexual identity and the diversity of sexuality in society. We seek papers from contemporary, critical, or historical perspectives.
Topics of interest include:
• Apps and dating in the digital age
• “Bury your gays,” queerbaiting, and television representation
• Drag culture and performance
• Femininities, masculinities, intersections of gender and sexuality
• Globalization, tourism, and queer migration
• LGBTQ Cinema
• Queer philosophy and ethics
• Race + sexuality, including Black queer studies and the Latinx experience
• Sexuality and social justice
• Shipping, slash fiction, and fandom
• Trans identity and issues
• (In)visibility in sports
• Any other examination of the LGBTQ experience in popular culture
We encourage submissions from all theoretical and methodological approaches.
Proposals are welcome on all aspects of popular and American culture for inclusion in the 2023 Mid-Atlantic Popular & American Culture Association (MAPACA) conference in Philadelphia, PA. Single papers, panels, roundtables, and alternative formats are welcome.
Proposals should take the form of 300-word abstracts, and may only be submitted to one appropriate area. https://mapaca.net/help/conference/submitting-abstracts-conference