Urban Cultures in Contemporary France
This panel is part of the NEMLA conference taking place in Boston March 7-10, 2024.
It seeks to analyze the development of urban cultures in France while taking into account the impact of postcolonial studies since 2005, the year of the "urban riots". It also aims to discuss the political aspect of urban culture as well as the influence of American culture on French production.
Possible themes include:
· Urban literature and "banlieue" culture
· The literary aspect of French rap
· Urban culture and postcolonial studies
· French Caribbean rap
· Urban culture and social activism
· The American influence
· Global "Francophone" hip-hop
· Urban culture outside of Paris (Lyon, Marseille, etc)
· Urban culture and Republican values etc