Vonnegut Surplus, Surplus Vonnegut (NeMLA 2024 Kurt Vonnegut Society Session)
The Kurt Vonnegut Society is seeking 250-word abstracts for a panel session at the Northeast Modern Language Association (NeMLA) annual convention in Boston, MA, March 7-10, 2024.
All submissions must be made through the following link: View Session (cfplist.com)
Vonnegut Surplus, Surplus Vonnegut
In line with this year’s convention theme, the Kurt Vonnegut Society seeks abstracts that consider what we might call “Surplus Vonnegut” or “Vonnegut Surplus.”
Possible topics might include but are not limited to:
* Texts that Vonnegut himself might have considered surplus (Happy Birthday, Wanda June; Slapstick; Breakfast of Champions; Wampeters, Foma and Granfalloons; Palm Sunday)
* Vonnegut’s work outside novels and short stories (the Iowa workshop, as an MA scholar, Cat’s Cradle as a thesis, Vonnegut in film, etc.)
* Vonnegut’s work as surplus to the literary canon (excluding SH5, of course)
* Texts within Vonnegut’s oeuvre that might be considered surplus and what makes them extra-Vonnegut
* Vonnegutian thought and/or writing style in other writers’ work
We are open to the directions presentations might take, but abstracts must clearly indicate how the presentation will address the convention theme of surplus.