The Northeast Popular/American Culture Association (NEPCA) Philosophy, Belief, and Pop Culture Area invites submissions for NEPCA’s annual conference October 12 – October 14, 2023
UPDATED The Northeast Popular/American Culture Association (NEPCA) Philosophy, Belief, and Pop Culture Area invites submissions for NEPCA’s annual conferenceto be held October 12 – October 14, 2023, via the Zoom platform. Deadline for proposals is August 1, 2023.
Philosophy questions general and fundamental concepts of our world and reality, such as reason, values, language, knowledge, existence, and the mind, body and soul. It functions as one of our oldest means of studying, understanding, and explaining, and prominent practitioners feature across time and cultures (e.g., Plato, Nietzsche, Confucius, Laozi, Ibn Rushd, Ptahhotep, Adi Shankara, Anthony William Amo, Nezahualcoyotl, etc.). This area welcomes proposals from all academic and methodological perspectives that either use philosophic principles to engage with/analyze examples of pop culture or explore depictions of philosophy within pop culture. Some specific potential topics include but are not limited to:
- The portrayal of philosophy, belief systems, religions, and mythologies across any medium (e.g., literature, film, television, comics/graphic novels, poetry, anime and manga, video games, tabletop role-playing games, etc.)
- The depiction of historic philosophers and religious leaders in pop culture and media
- The evolution of philosophical principles, belief systems, religions, and mythologies in pop culture and media
- The application of philosophic principles and religious teachings in American politics and news media
- The development of new philosophical principles, belief systems, religions, and mythologies through fiction
If you have questions about the NEPCA Conference please see: https://nepca.blog/2023-annual-conference/ or feel free to reach out to NEPCA’S Philosophy, Belief, and Pop Culture Area Chair: Hayley McCullough <email@example.com>
Conference registration is open! The deadline for the submission of abstracts is August 1, 2023. To submit a proposal Please use this form.