10th Biennial Graduate Student Conference (UBC-Vancouver)
10th Biennial Graduate Student Conference
Impending Catastrophes Through the Ages: Literature and the Arts in the Context of Doom
Department of French, Hispanic, and Italian Studies
University of British Columbia, Vancouver, Canada
October 26-27, 2023
The persistent theme of imminent cataclysm has shaped our past, present, and potential futures. We invite graduate students and emerging scholars in the fields of French and Hispanic studies to participate in this stimulating hybrid international event that aims to explore the intricate cultural, philosophical and artistic relationship between humans, the more-than-human world, and the existential anxieties of humanity.
This conference seeks to delve into the rich tapestry of apocalyptic tensions, and we invite participants to explore diverse perspectives that reflect on various aspects of this theme, including but not limited to:
● Representations of natural disasters, societal crisis and cosmic threats
● Articulations of resistance, healing, and coping strategies
● The role of emotions, affects and sensory elements
● Environmental Humanities and ecocritical artifacts
● Premonitions, prophecies, symbolism and warnings
● Tragedy, gothic, dystopia, horror, fantasy, science fiction, and other genres
● Race, gender, 2SLGBTQ+ and intersectionality
● Indigenous cultures and decolonial frameworks and methodologies in (post)colonial
● The configuration of collective consciousness, cultural responses and memory
● Mythologies, folklore, storytelling and orality
- Contributions in English, French, and Spanish will be considered.
- 250 words maximum (in word or pdf formats)
- Should include the paper title, your academic affiliation, your contact information and your
preference between in-person and on-line presentation
- Should include a short bio (research interests, level, possibly publications)
- Must be submitted to the FHIS GSC Organizing Committee by September 18, 2023 to the
following address: email@example.com
- Individual presentations should be no longer than 15 minutes in duration.
Abstract Submission Deadline: September 18, 2023
Notification of Acceptance: September 23, 2023
Conference Dates: October 26-27, 2023
Don’t hesitate to email the Graduate Student Organizing Committee at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions.
Visit our website: https://fhis-gsc2023.github.io/ for more information.