Race, Ethnicities, and the Medieval Ovid | ICMS 2024
The Societas Ovidiana welcomes proposals for a virtual panel to be held at the International Congress on Medieval Studies (ICMS) on May 9-11, 2024.
This panel invites a variety of approaches to the study of race and ethnicities in the textual and/or visual traditions of the medieval Ovid. Proposals might consider, but are not limited to:
- Racism and/or tolerance in Ovid and his medieval reception;
- How race and ethnicity is translated in medieval adaptations of Ovid, and/or in conjunction with later or modern translations;
- Medieval depictions of the Getes/Sarmatians, Ovid’s neighbours in exile;
- Visual representations of race or ethnicity in medieval manuscripts;
- How current and ongoing discussions about premodern race and ethnicity can impact the study of Ovid in the Middle Ages, or classical reception more broadly.
Proposals should be submitted by September 15, 2023 at https://wmich.edu/medievalcongress/call.