[UPDATE] East/ West Cultural Passage conference: Changing Places, 29-31 May 2014
Lucian Blaga University of Sibiu, Romania
Faculty of Letters and Arts
CALL FOR PAPERS
EAST-WEST CULTURAL PASSAGE CONFERENCE:
29-31 May 2014
The Department of Anglo-American and German Studies at Lucian Blaga University of Sibiu,
The Academic Anglophone Society of Romania and
The C. Peter Magrath Research Center for Cross-Cultural Studies are pleased to invite you to
the CHANGING PLACES international conference, to be held in Sibiu.
Keynote Speeches (confirmed):
Rubén G. Rumbaut, University of California, Irvine: "Crossing Borders: Immigrant America in a World on the Move";
Merritt Moseley, University of North Carolina at Asheville: "East-West in Academic Fiction: An Unequal Exchange?"
In the changing social, political, economic, and cultural global landscape, such terms as national, international, cosmopolitan, global, and 'other' need to be constantly reinvented, redefined, reinterpreted, and reorganized. The spaces where identities are negotiated, fraught as they are with social, economic, political, religious, and cultural tensions and contradictions, are also culturally fertile contact zones. It is with such changes that our annual conference will concern itself in 2014, as it interrogates the impact of the changing global scene, increased staff mobility and the internationalisation of the profession on various disciplinary and institutional aspects of English studies.
The conference proposes to explore four strands:
1. Place, migration and changing identities;
2. Language and change: the impact of global English on local cultures, Englishes, and translation;
3. The Lodge connection: representations of change in the campus novel;
4. The changing profession and institutional adjustments in the wake of Bologna.
We invite participants to explore these changes from theoretical and/or text-based interdisciplinary perspectives in individual presentations, panels, and/or workshops.
Topics might include (but are not limited to):
▪ travel, tourism, migration
▪ changing perspectives on global migration and cultural identity
▪ new modes of social integration
▪ literacy: spaces and practices
▪ language and place, language and change, translation and cultural transfer
▪ global perceptions in literature, language, art, and popular culture
▪ fictional and non-fictional representations of the academe
▪ interdisciplinary perspectives on history, politics, anthropology, and religion
▪ the global impact of media and technology on education and sociology
▪ reading practices: literary tourism vs. world literature, etc.
Presentations should be 20 minutes long, allowing for 10 minutes of discussion. Please send an abstract (no more than 200 words), a list of 5-7 keywords, and a short biographical note in word format. Proposals should include titles of papers/ panels, name and institutional affiliation, mailing address, phone, and e-mail address.
A selection of the papers presented will be published in East/West Cultural Passage.
Deadline for submission of proposals: 15 March 2014
Please send proposals to:
Conference fee: 40 Euros for AASR members/ 50 Euros for non-members (to be paid upon arrival).
(It covers coffee-breaks, lunches and conference portfolios.)
Lucian Blaga University, Sibiu
Faculty of Letters and Arts
Department of Anglo-American and German Studies
5-7 Victoriei Bvd.
Sibiu, 550024, Romania
Conference Organisers: Ana-Karina Schneider, Alexandra Mitrea, Anca-Luminita Iancu, Anca-Diana Tomus, Corina Selejan, etc.
We look forward to welcoming you to Sibiu!
For further details and updates, please visit us at http://conferences.ulbsibiu.ro/eastwest/index.htm and on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/pages/Academic-Anglophone-Society-of-Romania/22...