UPDATE: Not of an Age but for All Ages: First International Conference in Iran on Shakespeare Studies. October 22-23, 2014
Being the first specialized conference on Shakespeare in Iran, this aims to attract the attention of Shakespeare scholars and readers from different countries to exchange professional ideas and give critical comments on the diversity, versatility, global facet of Shakespeare. The popularity of his plays in today's world, bespeaks of the fact that Shakespeare's' works have broken cultural and geographical barriers. Many great and outstanding writers have appeared through different ages in literary circles, but he remains unrivaled in history of theatre. All literary schools can apply their basic principles to his plays, the Marxists, structuralists, psychological critics, mythological critics and of course New Historicism which has based its theories on Elizabethan drama. The conference sub-titles should give opportunity for all scholars and admirers of the bard to participate.
Your topic should be related but not limited to the following:
• Shakespeare and political discourse
• localized view-Iran or any other country
• Film adaptation of the plays
• contemporary understanding/related to contemporary global issues
• Radical Shakespeare
• Shakespeare and post-modern critical theory
• cultural identity
• Shakespeare and religiosity
• demystification of power-monarch or others
• Shakespeare and popular culture
• costumes and disguise
• the art of rhetoric
Venue: Amir Abad Shomali Street, Faculty of Foreign Languages and Literatures, University of Tehran, Tehran, Iran
Date: October 22-23, 2014 (Mehr 30-Aban 1, 1393)
Abstract Submission Deadline: 1st July 2014
* Length: 250 words (stating the selected category. Do include in the title page, name and affiliation, and brief bio-date, approximately 50 words.)
Full paper Submission Deadline: 1st October 2014
* Length: 3000-5000 words
1) Local participants: 120, 000 Tomans
2) Local Students: 70,000 Tomans
* Local participants should make their payments by wire transfer to the following bank account and email a copy of their receipt to either of the emails provided below.
Account No: 18711869
To the credit of: Faculty of Foreign languages and literatures, University of Tehran
3) International Participants: USD 200
4) International Students: USD 100
* All international registrations will be available only on-site at the faculty.
** If interested, participants can pay USD 150 for a 3- night accommodation at the university guest house.
If you prefer to book a hotel and wish to stay longer, you may book personally through the internet.
Academic Director: Dr. Maryam Beyad
Executive Director: Dr. Ismail Salami
All abstracts should be emailed to one of the above email addresses or to both. Should you have any questions, please do not hesitate to write to any one of the email addresses. We will be more than willing to help you.
Note: Selected papers will be published in the form of a book by the University of Tehran Press.