Lesbians and Children's/YA Literature.Proposals due July 15
Call for Papers
Lesbians and Children's Literature
Special Issue of the Journal of Lesbian Studies
June Cummins, Guest Editor
The Journal of Lesbian Studies, a peer-reviewed academic journal published by Taylor and Francis, invites essay submissions for a special issue on the subject of Lesbians and Children's Literature, guest-edited by June Cummins.
Possible topics include but are not limited to:
• Changing treatment of lesbians in pictures books since the publication of Heather Has Two Mommies in 1989
• Visual depiction of lesbians in pictures books and graphic novels
• Language, speech, and verbal aspects of lesbian depiction
• Contemporary attitudes toward lesbian parenting in children's and YA literature
• The coming-out process in children's and YA literature
• The relationship between geography and the treatment of lesbians
• Coded lesbian characters and relationships
• Lesbian characters/themes and the publishing industry
• The treatment of lesbian-themed children's and YA books in libraries, bookstores, and classrooms
• The relationships among lesbianism, trans-genderism, and "other" sexualities in children's and YA literature
• The relationships between lesbian themes and genre (graphic novels, television, film, novels, etc.)
• Audience reception of lesbian-themed children's and YA literature
Please send 500-word abstracts to email@example.com by July 15, 2105.
Proposals will be evaluated for originality, clarity, evidence of relevant research, intelligence, strength of argument and supporting analysis, and writing skills.
After initial review of the proposals, the selected authors will be contacted in order to arrange their final contributions. Final essays should be no more than 15-20 double-spaced pages, including references. (To facilitate anonymous review, essays should contain no identifying information: the author's name, email and postal address should appear only in the message that accompanies the electronic submission.)
Final deadline of essay submission: October 15, 2015
For more detailed information about submission guidelines—including copyright ownership and preparation of tables, figures and images—for the Journal of Lesbian Studies:
This is an open call. Please distribute it freely.