CFP; Monsters, Demons and the Jewish Fantastic (Special issue of Jewish Film & New Media) (Deadline: 1 October, 2015)
Oy! Have We Got a Monster for You!
Monsters, demons and the Jewish Fantastic
Special Issue of Jewish Film & New Media
Guest editor, Mikel J. Koven (University of Worcester)
The Journal of Jewish Film & New Media invites submissions for a special issue on Jewish horror and fantasy in film, TV and new media productions.
Jewish Film & New Media provides an outlet for research into all aspects of Jewish film, television, and new media and is unique in its interdisciplinary nature, exploring the rich and diverse cultural heritage across the globe. The journal is distinctive in bringing together a range of cinemas, televisions, films, programs, and other digital material in one volume and in its positioning of the discussions within a range of contexts—the cultural, historical, textual, and many others.
This special issue, planned for Autumn 2016, may include essays discussing any form of (broadly interpreted) Jewish horror or fantasy in film, television series (or episodes), or other digital material. Topics may include, but are not limited to,
• Representations of Jews in horror and fantasy films, TV series and new media productions
• Horror & fantasy films, TV series and new media productions made by Jewish producers – i.e. Steven Spielberg, John Landis, Roman Polanski, Larry Cohen, etc.
• Jewish spectatorship and audiences
• Jewish folklore monsters in film, TV series and new media productions – specifically golems and dybbuks
• Jewish parodies of horror and fantasy films, TV series and new media productions
• Israeli horror and fantasy films, TV series and new media productions (an article on Kalvet/Rabies would be particularly appreciated)
Submissions should be 8,000-10,0000 words in length following Chicago Manual of Style, 16th edition. Submissions should be made (electronically) to Dr. Mikel Koven (email@example.com) by 1 October, 2015. Informal enquiries and correspondence regarding this special issue should also be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org